Protect your PC from Christmas virus in this Festive Period
Christmas virus is not a single PC malware. Rather it represents all the malware threats that get active on Christmas period. They could be a Torjan, worm, spyware as well as ransomware. Based on their categories, their danger level changes but they all are dangerous and should be removed from PC as soon as its symptoms gets noticed. They get spread through various mediums such as spam emails and social engineering. So, it is advised to read this blog till the end to know about the most common Christmas themed malware and how to delete Christmas virus from PC.
As mentioned, there is various Christmas themed PC infections which could have different goals and there are different ways to deal with them. However, it is always recommended to use a powerful anti-malware tool to get rid of all such malware. In some cases, especially with the Christmas ransomware, it leaves its devastation back even after it is completely removed from the PC. Actually, it damages or deletes the encrypted files and demands to pay ransom money in order to get the decryption key. So, to access the encrypted files, file recovery process is to be executed.
Some of the Examples of Christmas virus is:
The Maldal Virus: It spread through spam emails that have subject line “Happy New Year” and it is presented as if it contains some gift cards etc. After getting Christmas.exe file executed, the malware displays a message on the screen displaying the “Santa Claus” with a reindeer with a message “From the heart, Happy new Year!”
WM97/Melissa-AG or Prilissa: It is one of the oldest Christmas theme based virus that first came in existence in 1999. It also gets spread through spam emails with the subject line “Message from [username].”. After its scripts get downloaded in the PC, it would get active on 25th December. It tries to wipe out the “C” drive when user reboots the PC.
Christmas Tree EXEC: This is probably the first Christmas based PC malware which was first appeared in 1987. This malware is written in Rexx language. It also spread through spam emails with the subject line “Let the exec run and enjoy yourself!”. It instructs you to type “CHRISTMAS”. A Christmas tree as text graphics appears on the screen and sent out its files to everybody in the contact’s file.
Koobface Worm: This malware is very active on social networking websites such as Twitter, Skype, Facebook. It redirects the victims to a Santa-themed webpage. Its malicious activities include the theft of personal sensitive information that ultimately leads to money loss.
MerryChristmas Ransowmare: This is a latest malware based on Christmas theme. Its aim is to encrypt the targeted files and demands the victim to pay certain ransom money as ransom to get the decryption key. The worst part is that the original decryption key is not provided even after the complete money is provided. This malware too is spread through spam email campaigns. The email contains a hyperlink that download the suspicious zip file presented in the PDF format.
Protection against Christmas virus:
As you have already noticed, the Christmas themed based malware primarily spread through spam emails. So, you have to be very careful while you download anything through emails. Don’t open any suspicious email especially if it is sent by unknown senders. Such emails usually contain a lot of spelling mistakes and error messages. Open any email attachments only after scanning it with a powerful anti-malware tool that has strong scanning algorithm and programming logics.
Remove Christmas virus using powerful Windows Scanner
Download Automatic Removal Tool to eliminate infectious threat
Now, if you don’t want to face all these functions later inside the PC with Christmas virus then you were highly suggested to delete Christmas virus by installing expert’s anti-malware tool inside the PC.
So, what is anti-malware tool?
Anti-malware tool (SpyHunter 4) is a powerful real time protection programs for the Windows Operating System which has been created by Enigma Software Group. It is fully capable to protect the Computer against threat like Christmas virus . However, you can also remove this threat by manual process but it is little bit complexly. Besides that, the manual process requires Computer skill. That means, you need to put some extra effort on your PC in order to remove Christmas virus . As well as, you should have ability to revert back any wrong steps which you have taken in manual process. Otherwise the PC might be goes even worst conditions. On the other hand with the anti-malware tool you don’t requires any extra Computer skill or effort. The Spy Hunter has been designed between experts and novice Users level. Thus, you can easily operate without any worries of harm your Computer. Therefore, in my opinion I would like to prefer anti-malware tool in order to uninstall Christmas virus from Computer.
Complete tutorial to delete Christmas virus using automatic removal method
- As you will run anti-malware tool, you will see two options located in middle of screen. Please click on **Scan Computer Now** option in order to proceed to full System scan.
- You can also see the error result while scanning of PC.
- If you want to scan any particular volume drive or removal pen drives then you can use this Custom Scan option.
- Spyware Helpdesk will help you in solving the PC’s errors online (just like Customer services).
- System Guard, this functions will helps you to keep your Computer safe from offline threat.
- By using Network Sentry Option your browser will safe from online threat and your online activities will be protected by this anti-malware tool.
- Al last, by enabling the Scan Scheduler function, your Computer will automatically keep scanned timely by this tool and notifies you if this tool caught any error.
How to get rid of Christmas virus manually?
Eliminate Christmas virus by going through Control Panel:
- Click on the Start menu icon located on below left of screen (Right click for Windows 8 and 8.1 Users).
- Select Control Panel option > Programs.
- The Programs which were installed on PC were located in this list.
- Please find out Christmas virus as well as their associated files and click on it to uninstall it.
Remove Christmas virus entries from Windows Registry box:
- In order to go to the Windows registry box, please click on Win logo button+ R key together.
- Type **regedit** in run dialog box. (If it asks your permission to open this window then click on Yes button)
- Registry Box will suddenly open up please go through every location given below in this window in order to find out and delete Christmas virus .
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\ Christmas virus .exe
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Opera Software
Explorer\Main\Start Page Redirect=http://random.com
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\virus name
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon Shell = %AppData%\IDP.ARES.Generic.exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Random
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Random.
Method to prevent Christmas virus and other similar threats in future
After all, the single biggest factor in preventing a threat like Christmas virus infection is lies upon you. Even you already install anti-malware and you scan your Computer timely, if you don’t be carefully towards your PC while using it. It is obviously to get infected by Christmas virus again. Therefore, you just need vigilance to avoid being affected by threat in future and n some tips and suggestion mention here will hopefully prevent your Computer from infection in coming time.
- Keep your anti-malware updated.
- Use strong passwords for valuable information to prevent from hacking.
- Disable auto-run functions for downloaded files and injected drives.
- Block auto update from network inside System.
- Leave it out unknown recipient email attachments.
- Avoid connecting to open source network like Wi-Fi.
- Use hardware based firewall in order to protect your System against infections.
- Deploy DNS protection from automatically get modified.
- Use ad blocker extension and software in order to surf without getting any additional commercial ads and junk notifications.
- Do not use any untrusted or unofficial domain for surfing and downloading files inside browser.